Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Eggs, au Naturel: part deux.

I had so much fun using natural dye for my eggs last year, so I did it again this year!

Natural Dyed Eggs


This time, I saved the skins from Runza's yellow onions, but I also procured a bag full of red onion skins from our local grocery store (who thought I was nuts, by the way!). I bought a bouquet of flowers, and my friend Ann came over for some creative fun. We laughed for hours while we crafted our masterpieces together.

Note: red onion skins are much more STINKY than yellow onion skins while boiling!

Add in the fact that Ann knocked over a just-opened bottle of white wine the second she arrived, and my kitchen/dining area was quite... aromatic? for several hours. :-D

The red onions produced a richer, more "chocolate-with-a-hint-of-purple" dye, and they were Ann's favorite. I like both colors so much, I don't think I could choose one over the other. :-)




All of 'em
All of 'em.



I love how this one turned out.
I love how these turned out.

Hydrangea
Hydrangea - it looks so delicate!
(This one is my favorite egg of this series.)


I used eucalyptus leaves for the one on the right.
I used eucalyptus leaves for the one on the right - it smelled heavenly!

Baby's breath
Baby's breath.

Marbled technique Marbled technique Marbled technique
Marbled technique, all using yellow onion skins.

Marbled technique
Marbled technique again, this time showing a red onion skin egg. Note how you can see traces of green, blue, pink, brown, yellow, and purple - beautiful!



My favorite
Another take of my favorite egg.

If you're curious, you can find all the instructions in last year's set. If you decide to try these, let me know how they turn out! I'd love to see more pics. :-)

1 comment: