Thursday, August 27, 2009

Beginning band.

Philip and I were both "band geeks" in school, taking it all the way through graduation, and even taking multiple classes. I was always first chair and section leader for my flute section, playing all the solos and piccolo parts, and I took three different band classes during my senior year. I even taught lessons a couple years. Philip was a percussionist, and took two classes his senior year as well. We practically lived in the band hall - in fact, that's where we met our freshman year!

Last Tuesday, we attended a beginning band class orientation for A.J.'s grade. He's been excited about this for most of the summer, and we are definitely encouraging his enthusiasm. The students were asked to pick list three instruments they were most interested in, and then the band teacher would test them on all mouthpieces, consider their favorites, and send home a recommendation. The recommendation would be based on the strengths of the student, as well as the needs of the forming band class.

A.J.'s picks, in this order: 1) clarinet, 2) trombone, and 3) flute.

Now, my mama heart began flip-flopping at seeing his listed choices two weeks ago, and I wasn't sure how to handle things. You see, if he was truly interested in the clarinet or the flute, I didn't want to discourage him from choosing it. However, I didn't want to hype up either, thinking that he might be choosing the flute because he thought it would make me happy, or because we already have two of them (which wouldn't have mattered, as we'll be getting him a new instrument of his own anyhow, but he didn't know that). And the trombone? Well, Philip actually played that for a year before switching to percussion, and A.J. knew this, so I hoped that he wasn't picking it because he thought it was what his dad would want.

But... *quibbles* ... it's just how it is, but the flute/clarinet are generally perceived in school as "girly" instruments. At least, that was definitely the case in my schools in Texas, as well as our school in West Virginia - I can't be sure of anywhere else. There was one boy clarinet player I could remember, and cripes, he had so much fun made at him! My mama-bear instincts put up a guard the moment I saw "clarinet" on his paper.

Yes, I know that some of the world's most accomplished clarinet/flute players are men. I do. It has always irked me, as a flautist, that male players have so much more ease in playing, just by having longer fingers, and I'm sure the case is the same for clarinet players. But I also imagine that those same male players have suffered much ribbing, especially in their earlier years. And I was so nervous of how A.J. would handle the negative attention, should it occur.

At his orientation, he really perked up at seeing the baritone. He had never heard of, nor seen one, and he thought it was so much more interesting than the tuba. He still thought the trombone was pretty slick, and I was inwardly praying, "Go brass!" Not that playing a brass instrument is any easier, but because I know that A.J. doesn't have a tendency to let jokes "roll off his back," and I was so worried. While A.J. was checking out something else, Philip and I briefly discussed our concerns with his band teacher, and then left, hoping for... well, we weren't sure, really.

Over the next few class days, the band teacher tested all of the students. Today, she sent home recommendations, and we are now to begin shopping for an instrument. On A.J.'s paper?

"CLARINET"

I have been enthusiastic for him, and he is just elated to have received a recommendation for, "my first choice, Mom!" Oh, but my tummy is doing cartwheels, and my heart prays that he won't have additional challenges because of his instrument choice, but that if he does, he grows to effectively handle them. Music has been such an important part of my life, and playing an instrument has been a great joy...

I wish for that for my sweet A.J. in his new adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I knew some great male clarinet players, who had several girls after them too. That's awesome that he gets to play the first choice on his list. I could never stand the brass guys, they were always a bit too stuck on themselves and liked to push their weight around, except one who was a dear friend to me. Anyway, I'm WAY glad he got what he wanted!

    ReplyDelete