Thursday, November 5, 2009

A holiday update.

Jack and I headed out this evening to begin our holiday shopping. We worked very hard for over two hours, and we made a lot of progress! I'm now happy to report that gifts have been purchased for six special people. That means we only have, let's see... um... six just-as-special people left to buy for. We're halfway done - YAY!

At the very end of our shopping, we passed a makeup section, and Jack was all, "OOOOOooooooh!" He wanted to show me the LipSmackers that his teacher sometimes uses, and he was super stoked to find a Dr. Pepper flavor one. I let him have the 85c chapstick for being such a big help to me in picking out gifts, and he is over the moon tonight about his flavored lips. What a funny guy!

As we were piling purchases into the car, I scouted the parking lot for a cart return. I spotted one, but it was a few aisles over. After emptying out the cart, I let Jack return it, but I warned him to walk slowly and look for traffic constantly. I then started the car and crept alongside him. He did exactly as I asked, being very vigilant in looking for cars, and then he politely pushed the cart all the way inside the return, as the beginning of the next neat row. He then hopped inside the car with me, and I navigated the rest of the parking lot.

"Why were you looking at me with that funny look out the window, Mom?" he asked.

"Hmm?" I questioned. "What are you talking about, bud?"

"You were watching me real close with a kinda smile on. Did you think I couldn't do it by myself?"

I sighed a mother's sigh. "No, sweetie. I knew you could do it. I just look at you sometimes, and I can't believe you are as big as you are, and that you can do all the things you now can. You are just growing up so very fast, you know?"

"I know, Mom," he said knowingly, nodding in the rearview mirror. Then he smiled that loopy smile of his, and he gazed out the window into the clear night.

No comments:

Post a Comment